The Suffolk Equality Group is a voluntary organisation working to reduce income inequality in Suffolk to improve the lives of all our citizens – both poor and rich.
We are an autonomous group affiliated to The Equality Trust which works to reduce income inequality in order to improve the quality of life in the UK.
We are doing this because recent research has demonstrated that people in more equal societies:
- live longer:
- have better mental health; and
- have better chances for a good education regardless of their background.
- community life is stronger where the income gap is narrower; and
- children do better at school and they are less likely to become teenage parents.
Whereas, in more unequal societies, people:
- trust each other less,
- there is more violence; and
- rates of imprisonment are higher.
S0 we are a community of people who share the aim to reduce income inequality in Suffolk and the UK.